Saturday, January 22, 2011

Charlotte’s Medical Mystery–Day Four–Friday, January 21

When it rains, it pours.  Sometime Thursday night while I was on the phone, I heard Trenton crying.  I turned the video screen of our monitor on, and saw Trenton stand up and then immediately lay back down and go to sleep.  I didn’t think anything of it, and since Charlotte gave me such a fight about going to sleep and then would only sleep with me holding her, I never went back in to check on Trenton.  After getting everything ready to leave – car packed with everything but the kids and warming up – I go upstairs to wake Trenton up, change his diaper and get him dressed before heading out the door.  I walk in his room and he greets me with a big smile – the same way he does every morning.  I go to pick him up out of bed, and see that there is vomit everywhere.  Apparently he threw up when I heard him on the monitor and then slept in it.  Wow, I felt like mother of the year material!  I got him cleaned up, and called to change childcare arrangements for him.  He was going to stay with a friend with two young kids, but I didn’t want him to get them sick.  Instead I took him to a wife off the ship who was nice enough to take him on short notice.

Dr. Altman called while we were on our way to the hospital.  The specimen on the second urine culture also showed pseudomonas. 

Charlotte and I got to CHKD around 9:30am.  Dr. Altman had already talking to the attending ER doctor, so they were expecting us.  After a resident got Charlotte’s history, the ER staff cathed her (AGAIN) and got an IV line set.  Charlotte was started on her first dose of IV antibiotics to treat pseudomonas. 

*See how I’m talking about residents, attendings, etc.?  CHKD is a learning hospital.  A Seattle Grace but for kids.  And without a McDreamy (darn it!)

The hospital was pretty full, so we didn’t actually get taken up to a room until a little after lunch.  We got our first visitor soon after we got in the room – the CO’s wife from the ship.  Ellen is so nice, and I’m so glad she came to sit with us for a while.  We went down to x-ray a little after 3:00 for a renal ultrasound to check for abnormalities in Charlotte’s kidneys.  Jarrod got to the hospital just as the ultrasound was starting.  Charlotte was happy to see her Daddy again!


Charlotte’s doctor, Dr. Poff, came by later in the evening.  She said that Charlotte’s ultrasound looked great – no abnormalities in the make up of the kidneys.  She said Charlotte would be in the hospital on IV antibiotics for at least a couple of days.

After talking to Dr. Poff, Jarrod left to go pick Trenton up, and Charlotte and I hit the hay.  The baby bed they have in here is one of their older beds, and really looks more like a cage.  Charlotte wouldn’t go down in there, and I really didn’t blame her.  She slept next to me and pretty much slept through her vitals being taken every two hours and getting a round of IV antibiotics.

No comments: