We took a note from the Mary Poppins movie this week and decided to feed the birds!
I found this wonderful tutorial for bird treats here. My kitchen helper and I had a blast putting these together.
Trenton and I halved the original poster’s recipe. This is what we used:
2 cups bird seed
6 Tbsp. flour
1/4 cup water
4 1/2 tsp. corn syrup
1. Pour bird seed into large bowl.
2. Mix flour, water, and syrup together in large measuring cup.
3. Pour flour mixture into bird seed.
4. Mix well, coating all of the bird seed.
5. Press bird seed mixture into cookie cutters on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
6. Use a straw to make a hole to hang the treat. Remove straw.
7. Carefully lift up the cookie cutter. This step is made easier by spraying your cookie cutter with Pam before filling it with bird seed.
8. You can either let your treats air dry for at least 6 hours (flipping once), or you can bake them at 170 degrees for 1 hour (flipping at the 30 minute point).
9. Run a ribbon or string through the hole and hang your treats out for the birds to enjoy!
We started out using fish and dolphin cookie cutters, but it was a little hard for Trenton to press the seed mixture into the tight spaces. We wound up switching over to a biscuit cutter.
These turned out really cute and weren’t hard to make at all. I’m sure we’ll be making these again once Charlotte is a little older and able to help in some way other than finding all of the little pieces of bird seed that fall on the floor!
This post is linked to: