Thursday, March 1, 2012

Sailing the Seven Seas

My Christmas gift from Jarrod this year was a cruise that he booked for the two of us.  We went on our cruise last week.  We took the Carnival Triumph out of Galveston, and my parents kept the kids for us.  This was my first cruise, and I had a great time (as did Jarrod)! 

Jarrod and I had a balcony room on the 8th deck, and we decided the first day of the cruise that we would take the stairs for the whole cruise.  It was faster than waiting on the elevators, and we were hoping to counteract all of the food that we knew we’d be eating.  The food and drinks were just too good though; I think we both came off the ship a few pounds heavier.


Our first port visit was in Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico.  Jarrod and I picked a shore excursion that took us to Yucatan’s capital of Merida.  We started by touring the cathedral.  Construction on the cathedral started in 1561.  The cathedral was beautiful and had the biggest crucifix I have ever seen.  After touring the church, we walked through the town square, and then wound up at a restaurant/hotel for salsa lessons.  The first half of our lesson consisted of learning to make two different type of salsas and a guacamole.  They were all really yummy!  I have the recipes, and Jarrod and I want to try to make them again on our own.  The second half of our lesson consisted of going outside to the courtyard and getting salsa dance lessons.  Jarrod and I are ready for our Dancing with the Stars debut!DSC_3689-1

The next day we pulled into Cozumel.  We went to Chankanaab National Park for kayaking and snorkeling.  Our excursion group was split in half.  The half of the group we were in went kayaking first.  We were in clear kayaks and could somewhat see through them to see below us.  We spent close to an hour on the ocean in our kayaks.  It was a lot of fun, but I don’t recommend a double kayak for honeymooners – unless you want a scenic memory of your first argument.  There were times that I thought Jarrod was going to jump out of the kayak because he thought that it would be easier to swim back to shore than do the double kayak thing.  We were able to see some underwater caves and some fish.  The second half of our excursion was snorkeling.  Jarrod and I did our fair share of snorkeling and SCUBA diving in Guam, but we did see some things that we had never seen before on this snorkel trip.  Our guide was great at pointing things out and telling us what they were.  Once we were finished with snorkeling, it was time for lunch.  Then we headed back to the pier where we did a little shopping before going back to the ship.


The next day was a relaxing day at sea, and then it was time to get back to the real world.  We had a wonderful time on our cruise, and we can’t wait to go on another one! 

1 comment:

Marie said...

Sounds fantastic! It's always nice to have some time without the kids. Loved the pictures!