Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Texas Recap


I wasn’t really sure how to write this post.  We returned to Pennsylvania from Texas yesterday evening (just before things got really bad back home with Tropical Storm Bill).  And while we always have a good time in Texas, this trip was not what we expected.

Evelyn and I got to Texas on Monday.  Trenton and Charlotte had already been there a week staying with my parents.  We had a pretty low key Monday, going to have dinner with my WaWa and spending the rest of our time recovering from our flight.

My mom and I took the kids bowling on Tuesday, and my Aunt Carol met us at the bowling alley for lunch.  After lunch, she went on her way to a dentist appointment while we made a trip to the library.


  Tuesday evening we went out for snow-cones, and then Aunt Courtney came by to visit and check cows.  I put the kids in bed soon after she left, and as I walked out of their room, my mom had just gotten off the phone and told me that she and my dad were in a rush to get to Victoria to be with my Aunt Carol.  Her husband had just died of a sudden massive heart attack.  They were in shock, I was in shock, pretty much everyone was in shock.

Wednesday morning I had to tell the kids that Uncle Scottie had died.  Trenton immediately started crying.  Charlotte was shocked.  Trenton (and Charlotte too to some extent) had a lot of questions.  Some, I had trouble with.  After I initially told the kids, they didn’t want to talk about it a whole lot.  Trenton became very cuddly and started giving me kisses again (he had been “too old for that” since the fall).  I know that Uncle Scottie’s sudden death was really hard on them.  They loved him and always had such a fun time with him. 

We laid pretty low for the rest of the week.  Jarrod flew in Friday.  Saturday was the funeral.  It was the first funeral my kids had attended.  They did pretty good, and I think that it was good for them to be there and get a better understanding of what happens after we die.

Saturday was a very busy day.  After the funeral we came back to my parents house, rested a bit, changed clothes, and headed to my cousin’s (opposite side of the family) wedding reception.  After a hard few days, it was nice to have some fun and catch up with more family and friends.


The remainder of our time in Texas was spent with family making fun memories.  My kids had to learn some hard life lessons, but they also had a lot of fun too.  It’s hard living far from family, but we always try to make the most of our time with them.  The kids are already asking when we can visit again! 



Living out of Wedlock said...

So sorry to hear that, sounds like your kida really loved him. I am gkad you got ti bw there with your family.

Alejandra said...

Aww. I am so sorry for your loss! Glad that you go to spend some time with family though. Sending prayers..!

Shannon said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle. I am glad you and your kids were there to be with family, but that was not the sort of trip anyone wants.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Amanda B. said...

I am sorry to hear that. I'm glad you guys got to surround yourselves with family and be there though. <3

Meg Taylor said...

I am so sorry about your loss! Thinking about your whole family xo

Jen said...

I am so sorry about your loss!

Lux G. said...

What a cute happy bunch.
Have a lovely weekend!

Amanda said...

I'm glad you all had run but sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like you handled it well. Hope you guys have a good weekend.

Amanda said...

I'm glad you all had run but sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like you handled it well. Hope you guys have a good weekend.

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

I am so sorry to hear about your uncle, I am glad you where able to enjoy parts of your trip with family !!!!